WinTV v7 - using and installing
- WinTV v7 download
- WinTV Extend
- Installation Guide
- User Guides
WinTV v7 is here!
WinTV v7 features:
- A new, clear and intuitive interface
- Digital parental control (North America)
- Closed captions (North America)
- Single configuration and scanning pop up menu
- High Definition TV and video support (selected models)
- Integrated TV recording scheduler
- Instant time shift and recording
- Multiple tuner support
- Built-in video player, which supports a wide variety of video formats
- Logical channel numbers
- Signal strength monitor for digital TV channels
New! WinTV v7.2 with WinTV Extend
WinTV Extend is a built-in Internet video server for the WinTV v7.2 application. WinTV Extend is standard in the WinTV v7.2 application. WinTV Extend will take your live TV signal and send it to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC computer over either a home WiFi connection or over the Internet.
WinTV v7.2 is available from the Hauppauge webstore at a cost of $9.95 (plus shipping). You can order it from:
All you need on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is a Safari browser pointed to your PC at home. If you are using a Mac or a PC, all you need is a browser (Safari recommended on the Mac) and a Flash video player.
Here are some screen shots of an iPhone receiving video from WinTV Extend. The iPhone pictures show the TV control overlay with Pause and 30 second replay.
click images to enlarge
WinTV v7 currently supports the following products:
All WinTV-HVR digital TV tuners for North America, plus the WinTV-NOVA and WinTV-MiniStick products in Europe and Asia.
HD PVR, Colossus are now supported with WinTV v7, plus the WinTV-DCR-2650 nows support WinTV v7 for all cable TV channels marked "copy freely".
WinTV v7 controls
TV mode buttons
Playback mode buttons
Basic controls of WinTV v7:
- To remove the TV toolbar, double click your LEFT mouse button in the live TV Window. This is called 'No Title' mode.
- To watch TV full screen, double your LEFT mouse button again.
- To exit full screen, double your LEFT mouse button again or hit the ESC key. You will then be in the Normal TV viewing mode.
- You can also change the viewing modes from a drop down menu by a RIGHT click in the live TV window to bring up the Options menu. Click Viewing mode and select Normal, No tile or Full screen.
- Changing TV channels: Click Channel Up or Channel down. You can also RIGHT click in the live TV window to bring up the Options menu and go to Channels. You will see the current TV channel list. You can also change channels by using the numbers on the keyboard or by pressing the letter on the keyboard for the channel name that you want to view.
- To record TV: click the red Record button to start recording. When you are finished recording, click the stop button then click the TV button to return to live TV.
- You can automatically schedule a recording by using the built in TV scheduler. RIGHT click in the live TV window to bring up the Options menu, and then click on Scheduler.
- Playback a TV recording: Click the folder button to open your video folder to select the file for playback.
- Audio settings (SAP audio): RIGHT click in the live TV window to bring up the Options menu and go to Audio stream. You can audio program (if available) of the current TV program that you are watching.
- WinTV settings: RIGHT click the mouse button in the TV window to bring up the Options menu. Click Configuration and the WinTV settings will be displayed.
- To change the size of the TV window , move the mouse pointer to any corner of the TV window. This changes the mouse pointer into a double arrow. Press and hold the LEFT mouse button and drag the window into the desired size, releasing the left mouse button when finished. You can set the size and position of the TV window separately in the normal WinTV viewing mode and the No Title mode.
WinTV v7 features overview
WinTV v7 lets you control more than one WinTV device in your system. With the new "multi" feature, if you have dual tuners in your PC, you can have live TV from both on the screen at the same time.
click image to enlarge
WinTV v7 lets you display subtitles from your digital TV program on top of the TV window.
click image to enlarge
WinTV v7allows you to enable Parental Control on digital TV programs.
To enable Parental Control, click the Parental Control tab in the settings menu. Once you set a password in 'Unlock Code' and click on 'Enable Parental Control', you can set the ratings allowed for watching and recording TV.
Note: you cannot watch or record a TV program unless you have the correct Parental Control level.
click image to enlarge
Monitor the signal you are receiving to allow you to improve aerial placement or correct signal problems on the fly!
You can playback many different video files through WinTV v7 in addition to the MPEG-2 TV recordings. This allows WinTV v7 to be a general purpose video media player.
|Ctrl A||Aspect ratio|
|Ctrl D||Display the video and audio format of the TV program|
|Ctrl F||Freeze the video|
|Ctrl Z||Open TV Scheduler|
|Ctrl O||View program details (digital TV program, where provided in the broadcast)|
|Ctrl S||Display subtitles|
|Ctrl W||Full screen toggle|
|Alt F||Open File menu for playback|
|Alt M||Open the Task Menu|
|Alt P||Previous channel|
|Alt T||Start TV|
|Ctrl C||Catch up|
|Ctrl >||Skip ahead|
|Ctrl <||Skip back|
WinTV latest version download
WinTV v7 application and driver download package
File name: wintv7_cd_2.7.exe
File size: 87 Mb
This download is a complete installation package, including drivers for supported WinTV products plus the WinTV v7 application and utilities.
A valid WinTV application CD-ROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version. Any WinTV v6 or WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v7, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95
If you have a WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM with Extend, then the latest version of WinTV Extend will also be installed.
To install the WinTV v7 application update
- Download the WinTV v7 installation package to your PC. After downloading this file, the file is normally saved in the Download directory on your PC
- Run Setup.exe from the Download directory on your PC
- Click Step 1. Install Drivers. This will install the WinTV Windows driver. At the completion of the driver install, you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated sucessfully.
- Click Step 2. Install WinTV. This will install the WinTV v7 application, 'middleware', TV services and other necessary files.
This will complete the driver and application installation for your WinTV.
Supported WinTV products:
This version of WinTV v7 is for digital TV, both QAM and ATSC, plus analog cable TV. It can be used with the following WinTV products:
- HD PVR (all models)
- HD PVR 2 (all models)
- WinTV-DCR-2650 digital CableCARD receiver
In addition, WinTV v7 can be used with the European equivalents of the above models (for example, the WinTV-HVR-2200)
Release notes for WinTV v7:
- Fixes an issue where sometimes in progress recordings wouldn't start in the LiveTV window
- Fixes an issue with no audio on Radio channels
- Fixes an issue with duplicate identical ClearQAM channels ending up on the same channel number
- Fixes an issue with DVB-C duplicate channels sending up on the same channel number
- Fixed an issue where a cancelled schedule would not allow another schedule to be added in it's place.
- New Features
- Supports SPDIF output for AC3 Audio
- Supports multiple HVR-1900/1950
WinTV Extend - live TV on your iPhone, iPad, Android phone or table plus Mac or PC
WinTV v7.2 with Extend Download
WinTV v7.2 with Extend is only available from the Hauppauge webstore at a cost of $9.95 (plus shipping). You can order it from: http://store.hauppauge.com/SoftwareProducts.asp#cd_wintv7
If you have purchased WinTV v7.2 with Extend and would like to have the latest version, simply download and install the WinTV v7 application and driver download package below. Put your WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive during the installation and the latest version of Extend will automatically be installed.
WinTV Extend latest version
WinTV Extend is part of the latest version of WinTV v7.2 If you have purchased a WinTV v7.2 CD, Extend will be automatically installed. If you would like to buy WinTV Extend, please go to our webstore:
WinTV Extend for the iPad
WinTV Extend for the iPhone
WinTV Extend router setup
Step 1 - Download the WinTV v7 installer including utilities
Please click on the download link from your products support page, you will be given an option to run or save the file, click run to start the installation procedure:
Step 2 - Unpack the WinTV v7 installer on your PC
Once the file has finished downloading, the self extracting wizard will begin:
Click next then select a path where you wish to extract the files (we recommend leaving this at its default setting), the Hauppauge software and drivers will be extracted automatically to your computer.
If you have a previous version of the software installed you will be prompted to uninstall it, click OK to automatically do this.
The 'HCWClear.exe' application will start up and begin uninstalling the previous software, any error messages or notes will be shown in the black box.
Once complete you may need to restart your computer, press 'OK' to automatically restart your computer.
Step 3 - Installation of the drivers
After Windows reboots, you will see the Windows Found New Hardware Wizard. Cancel this Wizard by selecting 'Ask me again later' in Vista or select Cancel in WindowsXP.
Once you are at your Windows desktop, double click on the Install WinTV 7 link to the install application:
This will open up the Hauppauge install application, click
This will then open up our driver installation program and automatically start installing the drivers for your product:
Once complete, click on the bar to continue.
Step 4 - Installation of the WinTV v7 application and utilities
In the Hauppauge installer you will now need to click
Select the language you wish to install from the list.
Note: If you wish to customize the install list click on 'Custom Installation'.
The applications relevant to your product will now be shown and will begin to install:
Note: Installing may take some time as it is updating other system components, please be patient.
Once complete click 'OK' then click 'EXIT'.
Step 5 - Run WinTV v7
Click on the WinTV v7 icon on your Windows desktop to start the application.
The first time you run WinTV v7, you will see the Device Setup Wizard to scan for TV channels. Follow the steps.
WinTV v7 user guides
Configuring the WinTV-HVR-1850 and WinTV-HVR-2250 built-in IR blaster for use with WinTV v7
The IR Configuration Utility is used to configure the WinTV-HVR-2250 and WinTV-HVR-1850’s built-in remote control IR blaster for use with either WinTV v7 or Windows Media Center. These instructions also show how the Hauppauge IR blaster can "learn" your set top box remote control.
Setup of WinTV Extend - for live TV on your iPhone or iPad
Setup of the TitanTV program guide (for the U.S. only)
To save your channel database go to:
C:\Users\Public\WinTV\Channel Database (Windows 7 and Vista)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\WinTV\Channel Database (Windows XP)
Copy the hcwChanDB_5 file to a place for safe keeping. To replace saved Channels just copy HcwChanDB_5 back to Channel Database Dir.
Open the Settings menu in WinTV v7 by clicking on the “gear” button in the lower left hand corner of the WinTV v7 application. Then click on the “All Channels" tab and right click on the channel you wish to edit. Click Details. Change the Preset number to the number you want. You can also change the channel Name.
You will need to follow this procedure if you are scheduling recordings with Titan TV online program guide. For example, if you scan for TV channels in WinTV v7 and find that channel 2704 is WNBC but in the TitanTV electronic program guide WNBC is on channel 702, then do the following:
- click your right mouse button on 2704 in the All Channel list
- change the Preset to 702
- change the Name of the the channel to WNBC
Then, when you select WNBC (channel 702) in TitanTV, it will tune to channel 2704, which is WNBC.
The default directory for recorded files is:
You can change the default directory by clicking on the settings icon in WinTV 7 (gear) then the capture tab. Here you will see the recoding directory you can click on browse and pick a new directory.
In Windows XP, files are recorded to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\My Videos\
If the program you are watching has subtitles when you record you will also get the subtitles as part of the recording. When playing back recorded files in Wintv 7 you can use settings menu to turn the subtitles on or off. ( recorded sub titles can only be seen when using the wintv 7 application for playback.)
Signal strength. If the TV signal strength is on the edge of being too low, you might see either a black screen where the live TV picture should be, or your live TV picture might be choppy. Also, be sure that the incoming signal from your video source is working properly.
Graphic display adapter related. The video graphics acceleration mode can cause choppy live video or possibly cause a black screen where the live TV picture should be. To optimize the video graphics mode, in the WinTV v7 application go to Settings and look under Video Renderer. EVR is the default setting. Try VMR 7, VMR 9, or overlay for better results. You may also try placing a check mark in “Use hardware acceleration when possible”.
If there is still no improvement, enabling extended logging in WinTV and emailing the log files to tech support will help in troubleshooting the problem. (To obtain extended logs, first go to Settings/Advanced options. Enable extended logging, exit WinTV and reopen it for the change to take effect).
You can use any software editor that can work with .TS files or MPEG-2 files. Here are a few examples.
Ulead DVD MovieFactory
ArcSoft Total Media Extreme
How do I scan for FM radio channels? And once I have scanned for FM radio, how do I find these radio stations in WinTV v7?
On those WinTV products with FM radio, you can scan for FM radio channels by clicking the Setup button (gear button) and then clicking on the Device tab. Choose your WinTV product, and then click Tuner setup. Click Analog FM radio and then Scan.
Once you have scanned for and found FM radio stations, you can listen to FM radio in WinTV v7. To select a channel, Right Click on the live WinTV v7 window to bring up the Option menu, and then click Find channel. Your FM radio channels can be found at the bottom of the channel list.
You can display the TV and FM radio channel list all the time by Right Clicking on the live WinTV v7 window to bring up the Options menu, and then clicking Find channel. You will see the Channel list (see picture below).
In the upper right hand corner of the Channel list is a small "pin" icon. Click this icon to "pin" your channel list to the WinTV v7 window.
Ctrl A Aspect ratio
Ctrl D Display the video and audio format of the TV program
Ctrl F Freeze the video
Ctrl Z Open TV Scheduler
Ctrl O View program details (digital TV program, where provided in the broadcast)
Ctrl S Display subtitles
Ctrl W Full screen toggle
Alt F Open File menu for playback
Alt M Open the Task Menu
Alt P Previous channel
Ctrl Q Pause
Ctrl P Play
Alt R Record
Alt S Stop
Alt T Start TV
Ctrl C Catch up
Ctrl > Skip ahead
Ctrl < Skip back
Prodinfo.exe is a program you can run which will extract information about the WinTV product you have installed such as model and serial number, MAC address, revision, and features which can be used to identify the exact model of your product. The driver for the device must be installed in order to run Prodinfo.exe
HCWCLEAR.exe is a program you run to remove all driver and files that were installed with the installation of the Wintv program.